Merry Christmas from everyone at Politics in the Pub.
We’re as busy as Santa’s elves, making sure that 2016 is full of debates and discussions covering the full political spectrum. If you have any ideas for topics or speakers, please give us a shout.
In the mean time, for those of you who didn’t make our Christmas Quiz at the brewery (as well organised as it was), why not sit back, relax and have a go at the questions. Remember – no cheating… or this guy’ll be after you!
Picture Round – Picture Quiz
Download the Picture Quiz here. There are two parts: a simple ‘Who’s that?’ about politicians from Bradford or with a strong connection to the district. The second parts asks you to make links between the pictures to find places in Bradford; for example,
Round 1 – Bradford Politics
- Name the local leaders of the three main political parties in Bradford (Con, Lab, LibDem).
- Which former Shipley MP was Chairman of the powerful 1922 Committee, and oversaw Conservative selections at the 1972 election?
- Bob, Anne and John are part of which political family associated with Keighley?
- George Galloway had a very public spat with the MD of an independent Bradford business during the 2015 election; which business? (Yes, we really asked that; no, not everyone got it)
- Where in Bradford can you find a mural celebrating the foundation of the Independent Labour Party in 1893?
- In May 2011, Bradford appointed the country’s first female what?
Round 2 – Political Leaders
- Which Liberal Party leader usurped Tony Abbott to become Australia’s prime minister earlier this year?
- Who was the first female MP in the UK?
- Who was the longest serving non-royal leader of a nation (since 1900)?
- Who was the first female head of mainly Muslim country?
- Which former army officer became known as the father of the modern Turkish secular state?
- Which country had the world’s openly gay head of state?
- Which two nations still reserve places in their parliaments for unelected religious clerics?
- How many Lords Spiritual (CofE bishops) are there in the House of Lords?
- Which 19th century MP was instrumental in allowing MPs to affirm rather than swear a religious oath when taking their seat?
- Which political adviser famously said, “We don’t do God”?
- Saudi Arabia bases its legal system on the Islamic Sharia code; which other nations officially use Sharia as part of their legal systems? (Up to 10)
- As well as being Head of State, HM the Queen also has some titles relating to her position within the church: what are they?
- “We just thought people in Yorkshire hated everyone else, we didn’t think they hated each other so much”
- “If you want something said, ask a man…if you want something done, ask a woman.”
- “Some men change their party for the sake of their principles; others their principles for the sake of their party”
- “My head spins. One moment I’m told I’m too edgy, then people say I’m too angry, then that I show too much passion… make your minds up”
- “I’ve met serial killers and assassins but nobody scared me as much as Mrs Thatcher.”
- “I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman”
Round 4 – Who’s in the Spotlight? In this round, the task is to identify the Yorkshire based MP (past or present) finding themselves in media headlines. We’ll give you the headline, the source and the date. (The date is of the news report, not necessarily of the event)
- “’Politically correct’ Romeo and Julian play sparks anger”
- “-BLANK- has a punchable face, says attacker” – The Scotsman – 27th October 2015
- “Nick Clegg calls Lib Dem MP Paris attack tweet ‘stupid’” – BBC News – 15th Jan 2015
- “-BLANK- wins Orwell political writing prize for memoir This Boy” – The Guardian – 21st May 2014
- “MP accused of ‘xenophobia after complaining that Polish cannot make decent bacon sandwich” – The Telegraph – 25th Apr 2012
- “-BLANK- punches protester – BBC News – 16th May 2001
We really hope you enjoyed that, and that you enjoyed all the Politics in the Pub events you came to in 2015.
You can download the answers here – BDPiP – Quiz Answers – and please let us know how you did by leaving a comment in the box below.